I've been remiss in updating this blog, because I've been very busy! Went to another horse show last weekend and various things since then.
1. New game plan: instead of taking a leave of absence in August, I'm going to hold off just a little bit. My good friend and dressage coach, Patience Prine-Carr, wants me to go to Arabian Sporthorse Nationals with her in September, so I'm going to take all the vacation time I have available during that month. I'll write as much as possible and go to Nationals (in Nampa, ID). This will give me a short trial period of working from home, while getting paid. Then, I will go back to work and evaluate the lessons I learned and change the game plan as needed or start gearing up to take my leave of absence in December. I get my year-end bonus in November, and that will come in very handy for paying off a couple of bills so I won't be quite as hard up when I no longer have a guaranteed paycheck. If all goes well in December, I'll quit.
2. I landed my first oDesk job! I have 14 articles to write for a new magazine, 1 Magazine Denver. They're due on June 17th and I have two done so far. I have a number of other bids out there as well as on elance.
3. Apex Reviews hired me to write book reviews. Not a lot of money, but a little bit and free books to read.
4. I have two articles to write for Horseman's News this month (actually, one is for Pacific Coast Journal, a sister mag). I have one well started, because it was supposed to go last month but I got the results very late and had a hard time reaching people for interviews.
5. Today I wrote an article for Beth, for the Arabian Horse Region Four Championship show program.
6. Today I worked at Horse Expo for a small fee but free tickets and parking pass. I spent more than I made!
7. Tuesday I taught three classes at the ballroom ($80). Linda will keep me in mind if she has private lessons other teachers can't do.
Earnings: $25 (plus whatever Beth is giving me)
Payments received: $165